Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Mavin A. Record

Marvin A. Record, age 74, of California, KY passed away peacefully on Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at his residence. Marvin was a graduate of Pendleton County High School Class of 1962. He was a proud U.S. Army Veteran and served during Vietnam. After his service in the Army his military pride continued on as an active member of the Campbell County VFW Post 3205 and the American Legion Post 219. He retired from Cincinnati Bell after 37 years of employment. Marvin was also an active member of the Campbell Co. Historical Society, Pendleton Co. Historical Society, and Sts. Peter and Paul Parish.  He was the former Chief for the Northern Pendleton Volunteer Fire Department, a bus driver for Bishop Brossart High School, and also volunteered for the St. Vincent DePaul Society. Marvin is survived by his wife, Angela “Ann” (nee Gerhardstein) Record; mother, Martha Ann (nee Massey) Record; children, Andrea Record (William Chenot), Larry Record (Becky), Edwin Record (Tina), Rebecca Phirman (Ryan), Sarah Wyrick (Clint), Daniel Record (Lisa), Adam Record (Katie Riley), Joannah Bauer (Jeremy), and Benjamin Record (Lauren); siblings, Sanford Record (Harriet), Steve Record (Carol), Elaine Kunz (Kenn), and Lee Record (Michelle); also survived by 22 grandchildren, many nieces and nephews, and great-nieces and nephews. Visitation will be held on Friday, March 16th at the Sts. Peter & Paul Social Center from 5pm to 9pm.  Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Saturday, March 17th at Sts. Peter & Paul Church at 10am. Interment with Military Honors will follow in the Stepstone Immaculate Conception Cemetery.  Memorial Donations are suggested to: Immaculate Conception Mission Church, C\O Sts. Peter & Paul Church, 2162 California Crossroads, California, KY 41007 or to the Campbell County Historical Society, 8352 E Main St., Alexandria, KY 41001. Alexandria Funeral Home is serving the family.

7 comments:

  1. Please accept my heartfelt condolence. He was a very liked and loved man to everyone who knew him. He will be missed not only by his family, but many others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ann and family, I am so sorry to learn of Marvin's passing. He was a good man. I first met Marvin in October of 2009 while visiting Stepstone. I live in Kansas and my ancestors (Ackermans) immigrated from Prussia to Stepstone. It was an unplanned meeting, but a fortunate one for me. We became friends and spent time together whenever I visited Northern Kentucky and Campbell County. Marvin had many talents and cared deeply about his family and Campbell County among many other passions. He was an amazing resource to me and I am sure to many others. I, for one, will miss him dearly. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Larry Strecker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m very sorry to hear about your dad Andrea. I always enjoyed talking with him. He’s a good man who I know has impacted a lot of peoples lives. I’ll be thinking of you and your siblings and holding you all in prayer this week. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a child my parents owned the store at the fork in the road at the intersection of Highway 10 and 154 in Peach Grove KY, where Martha Record, Marvins mother worked. My older brother and I spent a lot of time playing with our toy soldiers on our mothers kitchen floor and playing Army out in the back yard there. Our Dad had got us an old Army helmet and liner somewhere that we wore while playing these games. My older brother was all about the Army, while I loved the water and wanted to be the Navy.
    (We both ended up becoming Marines) We were too young to understand war but were all too familiar with one in Viet Nam even at 5 or 6 years old. Some good news came one day, Marvin was coming home. I knew this was a good thing because of every ones happiness and enthusiasm about it. Marvin saw those helmets we wore and did something special for us. He painted my brothers helmet Army green, put a star on it and the word General. Mine was painted Navy blue with a white eagle and the word Admiral on it, and I still remember him explaining to me what an Admiral was. Painting those helmets was special to us, and the fact that it was done by a real soldier made it even better.
    From then on Marvin was always a part of my life. Our families were already friends, but Marvin seemed to keep popping up everywhere throughout life more than the rest of my family.
    While it was normal to see Marvin at the store or church or church activities, because we also went to the same church, and normal to see him at the Northern Pendleton Fire House which both of our families were involved in creating, and later as I served as a firefighter on Butler Fire Department, to look up and see Marvin or his family on a fire that our two departments responded to, he kept popping up in other places too.

    In 1990 I was doing electrical work in a Cincinnati Bell Building in Burlington Kentucky and at break they mentioned a Bell Electrician that was coming by to look over the job. I remember they were talking about all children this man had and trying to figure out how many there were. I didn't think much of it until I heard he had arrived, I looked up and to my surprise, there was Marvin.
    Many years later after Marvin had retired from the phone company, I went to work for Northern Kentucky Electric Service. Marvin also worked there. Years later while out looking for work I stopped at a Wendys for lunch around Harrison Ohio, a small Cincinnati Bell truck pulled in and there was Marvin. He told me he went back to work for Bell doing ladder repair.
    Tracing my family tree eventually led me to the Campbell County Historical Society and eventually on to their History Day at Northern Kentucky University which I always enjoyed and learned from. The first time there, I walked in and there was Marvin dunking his doughnut in his coffee.

    Throughout my life Marvin Record always seemed to be popping up out of nowhere. It is always great to see a friendly smiling face in places I expected, and even better to see that friend in places that were never expected at all. Now when I look up I know I will never see him pop up again in my life. Marvins passing also means a passing of part of my life.

    A Viet Nam Vet, a firefighter, a true Christian, a life long husband to only one woman, which is so rare these days, ( Ann being such a wonderful woman contributed greatly to this.), a loving father to many children that were raised in a loving home, the church and the firehouse, giving them a triple dose of good. A terrific lifelong friend.
    Marvin was a great man and will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ann and family. Jim and I are truly sorry to hear of Marvin's passing. He was an amazing man and so well liked in the community. Jim and I will always remember our fun times we had at the Orbit Room in Southern Lanes. God bless you and your family in dealing with the loss of this great man. Prayers for comfort and peace. Love to all of you. Jim and Cheryl Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of Marvin's family. So sorry for your loss.
    Jo Ann Flaugher Farrar

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were so sorry to hear of Marvin's passing. You and your family have our deepest sympathy and prayers. Marvin & Jean (Brown) Bishop Winchester, KY

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment!